Friday, November 12, 2010

The Shane Dawson Generation

It’s amazing to see a former dispensable Jenny Craig employee turn into an internet superstar-and make a career out of it.  Which made me started thinking about the ways I could make money online, or if it was even possible for me at all.  Sorting through all the options out there, many of which are scams that promise you a fortune for a small upfront fee to buy their miracle product, I began to wonder if this was just a pipe dream.  After all, who says “I want to be a professional blogger when I grow up?”  Or a “youtube sensation?”  Or “I want to make millions off the internet by doing nothing at all?”  Okay, well I bet a lot of you say that last one.
Anyways, I knew I didn’t want to be a youtube star, because that would require me losing my anonymity, the one precious resource I could always count on.   And with virtually no video editing skills, I don’t think it would be even possible for me anyway.  I have tried paid survey sites like InboxDollars and Zoombucks, so I can tell you they are not worth your time, if you’re thinking about it.  The best way to make money online: blog.  Or at least I think so, as this will be my first post.  Peddling my fine art to people who simply don’t want or can’t afford just isn’t working anymore.
So, what do you think about Shane Dawson, Natalie Tran and the like?  Will “youtube personality” become a career; just a blogging has become one?  Will there be schools that teach their students how to get the most hits online, which advertising services to partner with, etc.?  I could never even have dreamed of blogging as a career when I was a child, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see something even more absurd mark the next generation of digital ‘vocations.’
*This content is copyrighted.  Please do not copy anything without my expressed permission.

2 comments:

  1. I admire people like Shane or Natalie for doing something fun and creative and getting paid for it. Indeed it takes a lot of guts to put yourself out there and, like you said, lose your anonymity. Maybe it will become a subject in school, having considered that Internet took over televsion and other traditional media.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot for commenting on my blog! Natalie is very down to earth. Shane, I'm not so sure about lol. Though I do admire both of them.

    ReplyDelete